The City Hall
Size of 160 to 120 meters was laid in 1292 years. With 10 runs Market streets at right angles, which in turn, together with cuts formed medieval urban layout. The compact historic buildings, single-story houses, was created after the fire of the city in 1894. The buildings are preserved gothic vaults and cellars passable hallways with Renaissance portals. In the center of Market stands City Hall (1897), built in eclectic style with a beautiful hall representative. Noteworthy is ejected from the historic tower clock.
Address: Rynek 1 (possible to visit the Town Hall within hours of the Municipal Office)
The ruins of the castle
Castle in Nowy Sacz was built by Casimir the Great in the years 1350-1360. In conjunction with the city walls formed a well-fortified north – west corner of the city. During this long period of time, the castle passed moments of splendor and downs, consumed by fires and wars. Rebuilt in 1938. And blown up at the end of World War II. Near the ruins of the castle tower Kowalska only surviving tower of the impressive defensive walls.
Address: ul. Kazimierza Wielkiego (Irena Styczyński Park )
For several hundred tombstones preserved to this day you can be found inscriptions in Hebrew, Yiddish and Polish. In the central part of the cemetery is preserved ohel, restored in the postwar years, in which there are gravestones of the dead from the Hasidic dynasty of Nowy Sacz (Santz).
Address: ul. Fishing (to visit, you must pick up the key in the house next to the cemetery)
XVIII century building. In terms of architecture belongs to the so-called. the nine synagogues, in the middle of the vault supported by four columns. Rebuilt in the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries., During the Nazi occupation devastated and robbed. It is now owned by the Jewish community.
Address: ul. Berka Joselewicza 12
Public Library – Residence Lubomirski
Historical house from the first half of the seventeenth century. Today it houses the Sądecka Public Library. Joseph Szujskiego. In the historic cellars works gallery exhibition, which presents exhibitions, held meetings with authors and literary.
ul. Franciszkańska 11 tel. 18 443 83 02 www.sbp.nowysacz.pl
Mon. – Fri. 8.00 – 15.00
The team of monastery OO. Franciscan
The oldest nowosądecki monastery was built in the north – western part of the city, in addition to strengthening the defense of the castle. It was founded in 1297 years from the foundation of Wenceslas II of Bohemia. Fires in the years 1753 and 1769 completely destroyed the architectural complex. It remained only the Chapel of the Transfiguration. Since 1800, it functions as a Protestant church.
Address: ul. Pijarska 19
Church. Holy Spirit Convent now OO. Jesuits
The church, founded by King Jagiello (1410) with the miraculous image of Our Lady of Consolation of 1569. Image crowned by the Polish Primate Stefan Wyszynski University in 1963. In the presence of Bishop Karol Wojtyla, now the Convent of OO. Jesuit. In the courtyard of the church there are two Baroque gates of the eighteenth century. In the middle of the statue of Our Lady of the late nineteenth century. The new arcades, where the walls are in bas-relief scenes mysteries of the Rosary, built in 1980. Altar was built in 1988.
Address: ul. Piotra Skargi 10
XIII / XIV w.- church originally Romanesque, later Gothic walls of the thread brick and stone. In the main altar a valuable painting from the circle Veil of Veronica – the image of the Transfiguration. The history of the image associated with the administration of the written in 1661. By. it “..Obraz painted by St. Luke the Evangelist, in later times was owned by Tsar Moscow. This, in turn, had him give the Czech King Wenceslas. As Members of this picture Hungary then drove through the village of Kamenica, ie. the place where later were located Nowy Sacz, the car stopped, because horses and oxen pulling it would not go further. Called hermit third Order of St. Francis had unpacked the car and he took the picture of the Transfiguration of the Lord commanded him and put here to leave … “.
Address: Plac Kolegiacki 1
Also called canonical house built around. 1448r adapted for the canons of the collegiate church. St. Margaret and through them to the 1791 used. Brick, partly buttressed, consisting of two blocks covered with separate roofs, basement story. Portals and window frames late-Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque. In the years 1958-1964 interiors were rebuilt and used for museum purposes.
ul. Lwowska 3 tel. 18 443 77 08 www.muzeum.sacz.pl
Tues. – Thurs. 10.00 – 15.00 Fri. 10.00 – 17.30 Sat Sun. holidays 9.00 – 14.30
Gallery Mary Ritter
Maria Ritter Gallery – exposures occupying four rooms on the first floor of a historic building Ritters (the turn of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries) at the intersection of Market Street and. Jagiellonian. In the first room there is an exhibition of paintings Sącz prominent painter Maria Ritterówny (1899-1976) and features her studio. The next room is: living “green” of a nineteenth-century Biedermeier interior, white living room and bedroom in the style of Louis Philippe. The device design uses a lot of family memorabilia and exhibits from the house and other houses Nowy Sacz.
Rynek 2 www.muzeum.sacz.pl
tour (upon reservation telephone Gothic House):
Tues. – Thurs. 10.00 – 15.00 Fri 10.00 – 17.30 Sat Sun. holidays 9.00 – 14.30
Part of the former Hungarian route. It is the most representative street of Nowy Sacz. The name received in 1885 .. In 1910,. To commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Battle of Grunwald, in the corners of the building Jagiellonian / Swedish was placed a statue of King Wladyslaw Jagiello, chisels Stanislaw Wojcik, placed next to a commemorative plaque. Under the statue is a tour Tourist Information Centre..
Gallery BWA Sokol
BWA Gallery “SOKOL” – in Nowy Sacz presents art of various media (painting, sculpture, graphics, photography, video, installation intermedia, architecture, glass, performance, design). Gallery hosts exhibitions, both known and prominent artists, as well as the debut of young artists and artistic events and educational.
ul. Długosza 3 tel. 18 534 06 60 www.mcksokol.pl
Wt. – Fri. 11.00 – 19.00, Sat. – Ndz.12.00 – 18.00
Church. St. Kazimierz
The church was built in the years 1908-1912, designed by Theodore Talowski in neo-Gothic style. The main altar is a triptych designed by prof. John Bukowski with its central image of Christ Teaching. Stations of the Cross designed and made by Hasior.
Address: the corner of Dlugosz and Kosciuszko street
Chapel St. Mark, popularly known as the “Swedish”
It was established in the place of execution and burial Swedish soldiers killed during the battle for the city 13 December 1655 year. It is a brick chapel, the roof tent covered with tiles and sheet metal. Four-sided lantern is topped with a statue of Christ the Man of Sorrows.
Corner of Jagiellonian and Kosciuszko street
Chapel Church. St. John of Nepomuk
The chapel was founded in the late nineteenth / twentieth century in the place of punishment peasant poachers. Inside the chapel there is a sculpture of St. John of Nepomuk and the image of Our Lady of Czestochowa.
ul. Lwowska – next to the bridge
Sacz Ethnographic Park
Is one of the largest open-air museums in Poland. It covers an area of 20 hectares, which presents wooden architecture and traditional folk culture historical Sądecczyzny. This region includes four ethnic groups: Lachy Sądeckie, the western part of Pogórzanie, Highlanders Sądeckie and Lemko Nadpopradzkich. The park includes 62 objects, grouped in several bands. It is 9 wielobudynkowych pens peasant, 4 pens single-building, the seventeenth century manor house, farm manor, eighteenth century church of the Lemko, a fragment of the settlement Carpathian Gypsies, loosely-standing buildings rural industry (smithy, mill, windmill, etc.), small architecture (shrines, crosses roadside, wells, apiaries, drying fruits, etc.) and a sector dedicated to the German Colonists (reconstructed buildings of the Lower Gołkowice and transferred to the Protestant congregation Stadel). Most of the objects is a permanent exhibition of household, commercial, industrial, diversified chronologically, property- and socially. Recreated were old, rural craft workshops. Skansen is one of the Malopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
ul. Lwowska 226 tel. 18 4443570, 18 4414412 www.muzeum.sacz.pl
May – October
Tues. – Sun. – 10.00 – 18.00 (last entry to the exhibition at. 17.00)
October – April
Wed. – Sun – 9.00 – 15.00 (last entry at. 14.00)
Presents fragments of small-town buildings from the late nineteenth century, including a small market square and the frontage of a dozen houses. Among other things, you can visit the town hall, the manor house and town houses. The restored buildings are post Galician, drugstore, fire brigade, a tailor, a barber, a shoemaker, a photographer, a dentist, hairdresser, printing, pottery workshop.
ul. Lwowska 226, tel. 18 4443570, 18 4414412 www.muzeum.sacz.pl
May – October
Tues. – Sun. – 10.00 -18.00 (last entry to the exhibition at. 17.00)
Railway station. It was built in 1878. Art Nouveau interior of the station is decorated with large paintings gifted painter Edmund Cieczkiewicz Sącz.
Address: ul. station 15
Church. St. Elizabeth Church (also called the “Railway”)
The church designed by Theodore Talowski in neo-Gothic style. Built between 1895-1898, oriented to the west. It was built on a Greek cross with a monumental tower at the eastern wall. In 1982. It made new murals designed by a plastic Andrew Dzięgielowskiego from Krakow.
Address: corner of Al. Batory ul. Sigismund.
“Stara Kolonia” estate
The oldest workers’ housing estate in Poland which has survived almost unchanged for 100 years. In 1892 it was put into use by 37 homes. Plans established in Vienna.
Address: is square: ul. Sigismund, ul. Podhalańska, May 1, ul. railway
Convent of the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin so. “White Monastery”
White monastery was founded by Bl. Mother Marcelina Darowska. The monastery complex was built according to the design of Cracow architect Karol Knaus. At the same time as the monastery arose surrounding park. The architecture contains elements of Neo-Romanesque and neo-renaissance. The convent chapel has a characteristic slender tower.
Address: ul. Poniatowski 7.
Chapel. Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary to “old cemetery”
Brick, single-nave from the chancel niewyodrębnionym, a barrel vault. Illuminated semi-circular windows. Unit, covered with copper roof is crowned signature. In the chapel they were located historic Gothic sculptures and paintings related to the working of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. Cechowymi woodcarving workshops and painting in Nowy Sacz. in the outer walls of the chapel are stuck epitaphs of the nineteenth century.
ul. Jagiellońska or Al. freedom
The cemetery was founded in the second half of the nineteenth century. 6 hectares. Burial place of people associated with the development of the city and the region. The graves of Historic Monument insurgents from 1831. And 1863. Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of 1920. Monumental monument – an obelisk with the accommodation graves of Polish soldiers, Austrian and German from the First World War. Symbolic grave “Oświęcimiaków.” Accommodation victims of the Nazi terror, murdered during the occupation.
Address: ul. Rejtana
Sights on the outskirts of the city
Church. St. Helena
Wooden church of carcass construction. For a rectangular nave adjacent narrower, three-sided closed presbytery with vestry to the north. On a saddle roof, covered with a sheet, they erected two towers. The altar is a renaissance – baroque year 1686th In the images: Our Lady of Consolation of the eighteenth century, St. Helena from the seventeenth century, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of the late sixteenth century, the Annunciation and St.. Clare of the seventeenth century. Church. St. Helena is one of the Malopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Address: ul. St. Helena 44 (district of the city – “Helena”)
Church. St. Roch in Dąbrówka Polish
Temple single nave timbered built of larch wood, shingled roof, tied with the foundation of Wladyslaw Jagiello. Inside the late Renaissance altar from the beginning. Seventeenth century with statues of SS. Peter and Paul on the sides and with a Baroque painting of St. Rocha from the turn of the seventeenth / eighteenth century. The church belongs to the Malopolska Wooden Architecture Route.
Address: ul. Heroes of the White Eagle 40a